Carer and family support during the detection stage should include the following:
- Access to appropriate information and advice including carer support information and related services
- Acknowledgement and recognition of the partner / family / carer perspective for informing appropriate referral
- Access to information and advice on Advance Care Planning
To raise awareness and promote the benefits of early diagnosis, GP's and Practice nurses should:
- Provide a copy of Grey Matters: A guide to living well with memory loss and dementia in the Grampians region. The guide is available for download under Community Resources.
- Highlight information on Alzheimer's Australia Vic services, specialist diagnostic services, carer support and home and community care services located in the guide.
- Undertake an informant interview where dementia is suspected to inform assessment and appropriate referral.
- Assess carer needs.
- Provide information on Advance Care Planning and Respecting Patient Choices which can be found in the Diagnosis pathway under immediate interventions.
- The Department of Health also provide information and resources on Advance Care Planning. Go to http://www.health.vic.gov.au/acp/advanced-care-plan.htm.
KPMG Dementia services pathways - an essential guide to effective service planning 2011 pg. 13